Films, films and more damn films. The critical reading and discussion of visual culture including dissemination, utilizing a multifaceted academic approach.
Thursday, 23 April 2009
Opposite ends of the Spectrum: Thoughts on the films I Love You, Man & Crank 2
I was fortunate to catch a couple of films In Brighton this week. I love You, Man stars the likeable Jason Seigel as the charismatic best friend to be to Paul Rudd. The film is a novel spin on the romantic comedy genre in as much as it focuses on the mechanics of male bonding more than the romantic relationship that Rudd has with Zooey, played well by Rashida Jones. Jon Favreau returns to the front of the camera here as a moody husband amid some obvious weight gain jokes, he literally is twice the man he was in Swingers. Talking of Swingers, I love you, Man falls some way short of capturing the pleasure of close friendship and kinship that Swingers did. Still, it is an entertaining and breezy film. Perhaps it is hampered by the schtick of Paul Rudd who in playing someone unsure of himself finds himself constantly suffering from putting his foot in his mouth, many cringe worthy lines are uttered by the man and it becomes slightly laborious later on in the film culminating in a feeling of frustration toward the protagonist. Jason Seigel by comparison is a joy and while the writing might not be as sharp for him as it was in Forgetting Sarah Marshall or Knocked Up he still revels in his part - bringing the character of Sydney Fife alive. Jason Seigel really does save the film from a certain blandness that often threatens the film. I found the highly contrived happy ending agreeable, I was just hoping for some slightly more adventurous antics from the two male leads. I am still no wiser to the appeal of Rush either, lets hope the revival does not start here. Still, I would rather watch an extended five hour cut of I Love you , Man than sit through Marley and Me again - so it can't be all bad. Its just all slightly formulaic and predictable despite its novel angle. It is this that makes Crank 2 about as far away from I love you, Man as you can possibly imagine. Crank 2 is rather unlike any film I have seen before though, while the souped up hyper real violence might owe something to Japanese and Korean cinema, the graphical design in the film, high speed cutting, and the general filming of the narrative combine to create something unique. It is a chaotic meshing of genres that at times threatens to implode in on itself, some parts of the film flat out do not work. What makes the mistakes forgivable though is the sheer joy and joy in creation the film rumbles out. Its a highly sexed, highly graphic film but it never feels nasty or explotative because it has such good humour at its core. It is disposible perhaps but it the highest quality disposible film you are likely to have seen. Against my expectations I liked Crank 2 very much in contrast to I love You, Man it is fresh, new and exciting. It might go on slightly too long and the hint at a third film didn't seem promising but as of itself Crank 2 is a frenetic take on the medium that plays fast and loose with its story with complete conviction. These are the reasons that it will be as loved as it is as hated, a definite case of marmite.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment